How to Prevent Lice AND Treat It!
Every year parents ask us if there's any way to "lice-proof" their children. We can't tell you how to "lice proof" children but we can definitely give you some advice on ways to prevent head lice, especially during the school year. The following are some easy rules designed to minimize the risk of a lice infestation (and the panic that often ensues).
Preventing Head Lice: Three Golden Rules for Kids
The best way to prevent head lice in kids is to arm them (and yourself) with knowledge. Start by teaching your children these basic three rules so that they are more aware of their surroundings, especially in the classroom:
1. NO SHARING: We all try to teach our children to share, but we have to draw the line when it comes to preventing lice. Children should not share:
- Hair Brushes
- Hair Accessories
2. NO HEAD-TO-HEAD CONTACT: Children should to try to avoid head-to-head contact during play and other activities at home, school, and elsewhere such during sports, on the playground, at play dates and at sleepovers, etc.
3. CHILDREN SHOULD NOT lie on beds, couches, pillows, carpets, or play with stuffed animals that have recently been in contact with a lice-infested child.
Preventing Lice: What You Can Do at Home
- DO NOT wash your child's hair every day. Contrary to popular belief, lice are most attracted to clean hair. When you don't wash every day, the buildup of natural oils fortifies the hair shaft, making it more difficult for lice to attach.
- USE LICE PRODUCTS CONTAINING TEA TREE OIL: In order to prevent an outbreak (not to "treat" one) Tea Tree Oil is highly effective. Tea Tree Oil is a natural antiseptic and the scent repels head lice the way that citronella repels mosquitoes.
We have Good News for you too!
Head lice prevention and treatment products don't have to be strong, toxic and smelly.
Two of the most popular products we carry for
Lice Prevention are:
Glop & Glam for Lice Preventative
And For Lice TREATMENT we carry Fairy Tales